Solem v. Helm - The Origins Of Proportional Punishment, The Case Of Jerry Helm, Mixed Messages, Lingering Problems
Herman Solem, Warden
Jerry Buckley Helm
That according to South Dakota law repeat felons must serve life in prison without parole. Helm had been convicted of six crimes prior to his conviction for writing a bad check for $100.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Mark V. Meierhenry
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
John J. Burnett
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. (writing for the Court), John Paul Stevens
Warren E. Burger, Sandra Day O'Connor, William H. Rehnquist, Byron R. White
Date of Decision
28 June 1983
The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the court of appeals' decision that life imprisonment without parole for passing a bogus check constituted a disproportionate punishment, which the Eighth Amendment prohibits given the crime.
This case along with a host of others helped the Supreme Court define which punishments fit which crimes. The case also calls into question blanket "three strikes and your out" laws where states impose life sentences on anyone with three or more felonies as well as "petty with a prior" laws where anyone previously convicted of a felony is charged with a felony for committing a petty theft.
- Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. 349 (1910).
- Rummel v. Estelle, 445 U.S. 263 (1980).
West Encyclopedia of American Law, Vol. 7. Minneapolis, MN: West Publishing, 1998
- DiSpoldo, Nick. "Three-Strikes Laws." Commonweal, June 14, 1996.
- Finkel, Norman J., Stephen T. Maloney, et al. "Recidivism, Proportionalism, and Individualized Punishment." The American Behavioral Scientist, February 1996.
- Mathews, Gordon. "Bad Check Conviction Not Worth Life Sentence." American Banker, June 30, 1983, p. 16.
- South Dakota v. Dole - Significance, Legal Drinking Age, A Four-part Test, Dissent: 158 Attempts To Regulate
- Silkwood v. Kerr-McGee - Significance, Near Disaster, Commercial Nuclear Energy
- Solem v. Helm - The Origins Of Proportional Punishment
- Solem v. Helm - The Case Of Jerry Helm
- Solem v. Helm - Mixed Messages
- Solem v. Helm - Lingering Problems
- Solem v. Helm - Magna Carta
- Other Free Encyclopedias