Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier
Significance, Privacy And The Right To Respond, At The Schoolhouse Gate, A Better Civics Lesson
Hazelwood School District in St. Louis County, Missouri; various school officials; Robert Eugene Reynolds, principal of Hazelwood East High School; Howard Emerson, a teacher in the district
Three former Hazelwood East students who were staff members of Spectrum, the school newspaper
That the Court should overturn a lower court decision holding that the students' First Amendment rights were violated when the principal removed two pages from their school newspaper before allowing it to go to press.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioners
Robert P. Baine, Jr.
Chief Lawyer for Respondents
Leslie D. Edwards
Justices for the Court
Anthony M. Kennedy, Sandra Day O'Connor, William H. Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia, John Paul Stevens, Byron R. White (writing for the Court)
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall
Date of Decision
13 January 1988
The students' rights were not violated by the removal of the two pages from their newspaper, because student newspapers published under the auspices of a journalism class are a part of the school curriculum, rather than a "public forum."
- Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, 393 U.S. 503 (1969).
- Grayed v. City of Rockford, 408 U.S. 104 (1972).
- Federal Communications Commission v. League of Women's Voters, 468 U.S. 364 (1984).
- Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser, 478 U.S. 675 (1986).
- et al. Heckler v. Mathews - Question Of Gender Based Classification, Individual Rights And Congressional Intent, Circumvention Of Legislative Intent, Impact
- Hawaii Housing Authority v. Midkiff - Significance, Supreme Court Rules That Public Purpose, Not Public Use, Determines Constitutionality Of A Government Taking Of Land
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier - Further Readings
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier - Significance
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier - Privacy And The Right To Respond
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier - At The Schoolhouse Gate
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier - A Better Civics Lesson
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier - School Paper Censorship
- Other Free Encyclopedias