Morrison v. Olson - Significance, The Creation Of The Independent Counsel, "how The Act Works In Practice", An "inferior" Officer
Theodore B. Olson, et al.
That Title VI the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, which established a special court and authorized the attorney general of the United States to recommend that the court appoint an independent counsel to investigate wrongdoing by federal officials, was not in violation of the Appointments Clause, or the principle of separation of powers, in the Constitution.
Chief Lawyer for Appellant
Alexia Morrison (pro se)
Chief Lawyer for Appellee
Thomas S. Martin
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Sandra Day O'Connor, William H. Rehnquist (writing for the Court), John Paul Stevens, Byron R. White
Antonin Scalia (Anthony M. Kennedy did not participate)
Date of Decision
27 June 1988
That the Ethics in Government Act did not violate the Appointments Clause in Article II, the limitations on judicial duties in Article III, or the principle of separation of powers; accordingly, the judgment of the lower court was reversed.
- Myers v. United States, 272 U.S. 52 (1926).
- Wiener v. United States, 357 U.S. 349 (1958).
- United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683 (1974).
- Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976).
- Mistretta v. United States, 488 U.S. 361 (1989).
- Clinton v. Jones, 520 U.S. 681 (1997).
Bacon, Donald C., et al., eds. The Encyclopedia of the United States Congress New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Mueller v. Allen - Significance, Tax Breaks For All--in Theory, Applying The "lemon Test", A Strong Dissent
- Mississippi University for Women v. Hogan - Significance, Vestiges Of Old South, "minimal Scrutiny", "intermediate Scrutiny", O'connor Rejects University's Arguments
- Morrison v. Olson - Significance
- Morrison v. Olson - Further Readings
- Morrison v. Olson - The Creation Of The Independent Counsel
- Morrison v. Olson - "how The Act Works In Practice"
- Morrison v. Olson - An "inferior" Officer
- Morrison v. Olson - Dissent: A Suit About Power
- Morrison v. Olson - Impact
- Morrison v. Olson - The Ethics In Government Act
- Other Free Encyclopedias