Arlington Heights v. Metropolitan Housing Corp.
Significance, Residential Zoning In Arlington Heights, Intent Versus Effect, Impact, Further Readings
The Village of Arlington Heights, Illinois
Metropolitan Housing Development Corporation and several individual residents
That a decision to deny rezoning on land owned by Metropolitan Housing Development Corporation was not racially motivated in violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and conformed to the 1968 Fair Housing Act.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
F. Willis Caruso
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Jack M. Siegel
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, Warren E. Burger, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. (writing for the Court), William H. Rehnquist, Potter Stewart
William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Byron R. White (John Paul Stevens did not participate)
Date of Decision
11 January 1977
Ruled in favor of Arlington Heights by reversing a lower court decision and refusing to issue an injunction against a rezoning decision, but sent the case back to the lower courts for further deliberation.
- Euclid v. Ambler Realty Co., 272 U.S. 365 (1926).
- Washington v. Davis, 426 U.S. 229 (1976).
- Bakke V. University of California â€¦ Appeal: 1978 - Reverse Discrimination Claimed, Suggestions For Further Reading
- Arkansas v. Sanders - Significance, Impact
- Arlington Heights v. Metropolitan Housing Corp. - Significance
- Arlington Heights v. Metropolitan Housing Corp. - Further Readings
- Arlington Heights v. Metropolitan Housing Corp. - Residential Zoning In Arlington Heights
- Arlington Heights v. Metropolitan Housing Corp. - Intent Versus Effect
- Arlington Heights v. Metropolitan Housing Corp. - Impact
- Other Free Encyclopedias