Davis v. Alaska
The Facts Of The Case, The Majority Decision, The Dissent, Impact, Separate Rights For Juveniles?
State of Alaska
By being prohibited from cross-examining a prosecution witness regarding the witness's status as a juvenile offender (under a state law protecting the anonymity of juvenile offenders), petitioner was denied his right to confront witnesses under the Sixth (and Fourteenth) Amendments.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Robert H. Wagstaff
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Charles M. Merriner
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Warren E. Burger (writing for the Court), William O. Douglas, Thurgood Marshall, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Potter Stewart
William H. Rehnquist, Byron R. White
Date of Decision
27 February 1974
A defendant's right to confront and cross-examine witnesses outweighs a state's interest in protecting the anonymity of a juvenile offender when the juvenile is a witness for the prosecution in a criminal case.
Further reinforces the importance of Sixth Amendment protections for criminal defendants.
- Alford v. United States, 282 U.S. 687 (1931).
- Pointer v. Texas, 380 U.S. 400 (1965).
- Olden v. Kentucky, 488 U.S. 227 (1988).
- Idaho v. Wright, 497 U.S. 805 (1990).
Levy, Leonard W. ed. Encyclopedia of the American Constitution. New York: Macmillan, 1986.
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- Price, Jason M. "Sex, Lies, and Rape Shield Statutes: The Constitutionality of Interpreting Rape Shield Statutes to Exclude Evidence Relating to the Victim's Motive to Fabricate." Western New England Law Review, Vol. 18, no. 541, 1996.
- Delaware v. Prouse - Significance, Impact, Drunk Driving And Drug Use, Further Readings
- Daniel James White Trial: 1979 - Double Execution, Unique Defense
- Davis v. Alaska - The Facts Of The Case
- Davis v. Alaska - The Majority Decision
- Davis v. Alaska - The Dissent
- Davis v. Alaska - Impact
- Davis v. Alaska - Separate Rights For Juveniles?
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1973 to 1980