Inc. Young v. American Mini Theatres
Significance, Supreme Court Holds That Government Can Restrict Certain Types Of Offensive Speech, Related Cases
Coleman A. Young, Mayor of the City of Detroit
American Mini Theatres, Inc.
That city zoning ordinances attempting to prevent concentration of sexually oriented businesses did not violate the First Amendment guarantee of free speech.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Maureen Pulte Reilly
Chief Lawyers for Respondent
Stephen M. Taylor and John H. Weston
Justices for the Court
Warren E. Burger, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist, John Paul Stevens (writing for the Court), Byron R. White
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Potter Stewart
Date of Decision
24 June 1976
The Supreme Court upheld the ordinance as constitutional.
Marjorie Heins and Jon Cummings, "New York Forum about Nude Clubs: Stripping the First Amendment." Newsday, 13 May 1993.
Carlos Campos, "Nudity and Alcohol: Study Disputes Blight Claims." Atlanta Journal and Constitution, 27 November 1997.
- Greenawalt, Kent. Fighting Words: Individuals, Communities, and Liberties of Speech. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1995.
- Hixson, Richard F. Pornography and the Justices: The Supreme Court and the Intractable Obscenity Problem. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 1996.
- Jasper, Margaret C. The Law of Obscenity and Pornography. Dobbs Ferry, NY: Oceana Publications, 1996.
- Zurcher v. The Stanford Daily - What The First Amendment Protects And What The Fourth And Fourteenth Amendments Prohibit, The Privacy Protection Act
- Woodson v. North Carolina - Significance, Woodson's Crime, Carolina's Punishment, "a Faceless, Undifferentiated Mass"
- Inc. Young v. American Mini Theatres - Significance
- Inc. Young v. American Mini Theatres - Supreme Court Holds That Government Can Restrict Certain Types Of Offensive Speech
- Inc. Young v. American Mini Theatres - Related Cases
- Inc. Young v. American Mini Theatres - City Ordinances And Nude Dancing
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1973 to 1980