Minneapolis Star v. Minnesota Commissioner of Revenue
Significance, Equal Treatment Of The Press, Benefit Or Burden?, Impact
Minneapolis Star & Tribune Company
Minnesota Commissioner of Revenue
That a state special tax assessment on ink and paper used in publication of the Star Tribune newspaper violated freedom of the press.
Chief Lawyer for Appellant
Lawrence C. Brown
Chief Lawyer for Appellee
Paul R. Kempainen, Special Assistant Attorney General of Minnesota
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Warren E. Burger, Thurgood Marshall, Sandra Day O'Connor (writing for the Court), Lewis F. Powell, Jr., John Paul Stevens, Byron R. White
William H. Rehnquist
Date of Decision
29 March 1983
Upheld the Minnesota Star's claim and overturned the Minnesota Supreme Court's decision that the special tax did not violate the newspaper's constitutional protections.
- Grosjean v. American Press Co., 297 U.S. 233 (1936).
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People v. Button, 371 U.S. 415 (1963).
- Arkansas Writers' Project, Inc. v. Ragland, 481 U.S. 221 (1987).
- Leathers v. Medlock, 499 U.S. 439 (1991).
- Turner Broadcasting System v. Federal Communications Commission, 520 U.S. 180 (1994).
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- Hawke, Anne and Kevin Donnelly. "Paparazzi." The Quill. September 1998, p. 19.
- Schwartz, Bernard. Freedom of the Press: Constitutional Issues. New York: Facts on File, Inc., 1992.
- Mississippi University for Women v. Hogan - Significance, Vestiges Of Old South, "minimal Scrutiny", "intermediate Scrutiny", O'connor Rejects University's Arguments
- Michigan v. Summers - Significance, Detention While Search Is Conducted Is Reasonable, An Unwarranted Extension Of Terry, Impact
- Minneapolis Star v. Minnesota Commissioner of Revenue - Significance
- Minneapolis Star v. Minnesota Commissioner of Revenue - Equal Treatment Of The Press
- Minneapolis Star v. Minnesota Commissioner of Revenue - Benefit Or Burden?
- Minneapolis Star v. Minnesota Commissioner of Revenue - Impact
- Other Free Encyclopedias