Inc. Airport Commissioners v. Jews for Jesus
Significance, Resolution Unconstitutional, No Narrowing Interpretation Possible, Impact
Board of Airport Commissioners of The City of Los Angeles, et al.
Jews for Jesus, Inc., et al.
That a resolution adopted by airport commissioners, banning all First Amendment activities within the central terminal area at Los Angeles International Airport, does not violate the First Amendment.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioners
James R. Kapel
Chief Lawyer for Respondents
Jay Alan Sekulow
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Sandra Day O'Connor (writing for the Court), Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia, John Paul Stevens, Byron R. White
Date of Decision
15 June 1987
The resolution violates the First Amendment.
Public Forum Issue Postponed
In a concurring opinion joined by Chief Justice Rehnquist, Justice White disagreed with the Court's decision to postpone a ruling on the issue of whether the airport was a public forum. Justice White also pointed out that the Court's failure to decide the issue did not mean that a majority of the Court agreed with the lower courts' conclusion that the airport was a traditional public forum.
- Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District, 393 U.S. 503 (1969).
- Broadrick v. Oklahoma, 413 U.S. 601 (1973).
- Perry Ed. Assn. v. Perry Local Educators' Assn., 460 U.S. 37 (1983).
- United States v. Kokinda, 497 U.S. 720 (1990).
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee, 505 U.S. 672 (1992).
- Boerne v. Flores, 521 U.S. 507 (1997).
- Laycock, D. "Equal Access and Moments of Silence: The Equal Status of Religious Speech by Private Speakers," 81 Northwestern University Law Review 1, 48 (1986).
- New York Times, March 4, 1998.
- Words and Phrases. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing Co., 1981.
- Akron v. Akron Center for Reproductive Health - Significance, Right To Abortion Upheld, But Imperiled, Abortion Statistics, Further Readings
- Inc. Airport Commissioners v. Jews for Jesus - Significance
- Inc. Airport Commissioners v. Jews for Jesus - Resolution Unconstitutional
- Inc. Airport Commissioners v. Jews for Jesus - No Narrowing Interpretation Possible
- Inc. Airport Commissioners v. Jews for Jesus - Impact
- Other Free Encyclopedias