Class and Crime - Definition Of Crime, Measuring Crime, Definition Of Class, Early Work, Shifts In Focus
The longstanding controversy over the importance of social class in the production of criminal conduct is often an argument over the meaning of class and the measurement of crime. Criminal conduct is far from a unitary phenomenon. In general, for a crime to be committed, there must be some intentional conduct that is prohibited by a criminal law. Occasionally, the law may require specific conduct such as filing a tax return. Under these circumstances, a lawmaking body can create a link between class and crime simply by making rules designed to control the conduct of the rich or the poor. If the legislature creates a law making it a crime to be found in public without money or a permanent address, they will have created a link between poverty and crime. If they make it a crime to engage in "insider trading" on the stock market, they will have created a crime that is almost certain to involve those with access to management decisions that might change stock prices. This kind of law would create a link between wealth and crime.
See also CRIME CAUSATION: BIOLOGICAL THEORIES; CRIME CAUSATION: ECONOMIC THEORIES; CRIME CAUSATION: POLITICAL THEORIES; CRIME CAUSATION: PSYCHOLOGICAL THEORIES; CRIME CAUSATION: SOCIOLOGICAL THEORIES; EDUCATION AND CRIME; GENDER AND CRIME; RACE AND CRIME; UNEMPLOYMENT AND CRIME; WHITE-COLLAR CRIME: HISTORY OF AN IDEA.
- Colonial Period - European Settlement Of North America, Factors Influencing Early Colonial Law, Differences From The English Criminal Justice System
- Civil and Criminal Divide - Before "destabilization" Of The Civil/criminal Distinction, Current Blurring Or "destabilization" Of The Civil/criminal Distinction
- Class and Crime - Definition Of Crime
- Class and Crime - Measuring Crime
- Class and Crime - Definition Of Class
- Class and Crime - Early Work
- Class and Crime - Shifts In Focus
- Class and Crime - Later Work
- Class and Crime - Bibliography
- Other Free Encyclopedias