Police: Organization and Management
The American System Of Policing, Variation In Style And Structure, Managing Police Organizations, Information Technologies And The Police
Discovering the best way to organize and manage the police is a popular topic among police managers and administrators, researchers, reformers, and others interested in improving the American police. Over the past century, police organization and management have changed tremendously. Many of these changes can be attributed to changes in the environment of policing: the development of new technologies, the emergence of new offense types, differences in public opinion about the police, and managerial innovations in the public and private sectors. This entry highlights some of the important changes that have taken place in the organization and management of American police agencies, explains briefly why these changes occurred, and discusses some of the current trends that provide a hint of changes to come.
EDWARD R. MAGUIRE
See also CONFESSIONS; POLICE: COMMUNITY POLICING; POLICE: CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS; POLICE: HANDLING OF JUVENILES; POLICE: POLICE OFFICER BEHAVIOR; POLICE: POLICING COMPLAINANTLESS CRIMES; POLICE: PRIVATE POLICE AND INDUSTRIAL SECURITY; POLICE: SPECIAL WEAPONS AND TACTICS (SWAT) TEAMS; SEARCH AND SEIZURE; URBAN POLICE.
Escobedo v. Illinois, 378 U.S. 478 (1964).
Mapp v. Ohio, 367 U.S. 643 (1961).
Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436 (1966).
- Police: Police Officer Behavior - Explaining Police Behavior, Individual Characteristics Of Officers, Conclusion, Bibliography
- Police: History - Early Policing In England, The Beginning Of "modern" Policing In England, Early Policing In Colonial America
- Police: Organization and Management - The American System Of Policing
- Police: Organization and Management - Variation In Style And Structure
- Police: Organization and Management - Managing Police Organizations
- Police: Organization and Management - Information Technologies And The Police
- Police: Organization and Management - Police Recruitment And Training
- Police: Organization and Management - Conclusion
- Police: Organization and Management - Bibliography
- Other Free Encyclopedias