South Dakota v. Dole
Significance, Legal Drinking Age, A Four-part Test, Dissent: 158 Attempts To Regulate
State of South Dakota
Elizabeth Dole, U.S. Secretary of Transportation
That a law withholding federal highway funds from states which did not adopt a minimum drinking age of 21 years was in violation of the Twenty-first Amendment to the Constitution, and of constitutional limits on the spending power of Congress.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Roger A. Tellinghuisen, Attorney General of South Dakota
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Cohen, U.S. Deputy Solicitor General
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, Thurgood Marshall, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist (writing for the Court), Antonin Scalia, John Paul Stevens, Byron R. White
William J. Brennan, Jr., Sandra Day O'Connor
Date of Decision
23 June 1987
That Title 23 U.S.C. 158, passed by Congress in 1984, did not violate the spending-power clause; rather, in view of a four-part test regarding aspects such as its "pursuit of `the general welfare,'" the Court found that 158 was a noncoercive effort to benefit all.
- United States v. Butler, 297 U.S. 1 (1936).
- Steward Machine Co. v. Davis, 301 U.S. 548 (1937).
- South Carolina v. Baker, 485 U.S. 505 (1988).
- New York v. United States, 505 U.S. 144 (1992).
- Printz, Sheriff/Coroner, Ravalli County, Montana v. United States, 521 U.S. 98 (1996).
- Seminole Nation of Florida v. Florida, 517 U.S. 44 (1996).
Bacon, Donald C., et al., eds. The Encyclopedia of the United States Congress. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Supreme Court of New Hampshire v. Piper - Rights Of Non-residents, The Privileges And Immunities Of United States Citizens, Variety Of Opinions
- Solem v. Helm - The Origins Of Proportional Punishment, The Case Of Jerry Helm, Mixed Messages, Lingering Problems
- South Dakota v. Dole - Further Readings
- South Dakota v. Dole - Significance
- South Dakota v. Dole - Legal Drinking Age
- South Dakota v. Dole - A Four-part Test
- South Dakota v. Dole - Dissent: 158 Attempts To Regulate
- South Dakota v. Dole - Impact
- South Dakota v. Dole - The Twenty-first Amendment
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1981 to 1988