Maryland v. Wirtz
Significance, Minimum Wage And Overtime, Interstate Commerce And Labor Peace, Disrupting The Fiscal Policy Of The States
The states of Maryland, Texas, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming; and the Fort Worth [Texas] Independent School District
W. Willard Wirtz, U.S. Secretary of Labor, et al.
That the Court should enjoin [prevent] enforcement of the Fair Labor Standards Act as amended in 1966, which required states to meet federal standards for paying minimum wage and overtime in their schools and hospitals.
Chief Lawyers for Appellants
Alan M. Wilner, Assistant Attorney General of Maryland; Charles Alan Wright
Chief Lawyer for Appellee
Erwin N. Griswold, U.S. Solicitor General
Justices for the Court
Hugo Lafayette Black, William J. Brennan, Jr., Abe Fortas, John Marshall Harlan II (writing for the Court), Earl Warren, Byron R. White (Thurgood Marshall did not participate)
William O. Douglas, Potter Stewart
Date of Decision
10 June 1968
That the Fair Labor Standards Act as amended did indeed apply to state schools and hospitals, and that states should obey the amended provisions and pay minimum wage and overtime.
- National League of Cities v. Usery, 426 U.S. 833 (1976).
- Garcia v. San Antonio Metropolitan Transit Authority, 469 U.S. 528 (1985).
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- DelMonte, Rosemarie E. "And the States Stand Alone."Creighton Law Review, Vol. 19, no. 1, fall 1986, pp. 105-131.
- McKeiver v. Pennsylvania - Significance, The Due Process Clause, The Rehabilitation Of Youthful Offenders, Courts Granting More Rights
- Malloy v. Hogan - Significance, Right To Remain Silent, Transactional Immunity
- Maryland v. Wirtz - Significance
- Maryland v. Wirtz - Minimum Wage And Overtime
- Maryland v. Wirtz - Interstate Commerce And Labor Peace
- Maryland v. Wirtz - Disrupting The Fiscal Policy Of The States
- Maryland v. Wirtz - Federal Regulation Vs. States' Rights
- Other Free Encyclopedias