Home Building & Loan Association v. Blaisdell
Significance, Supreme Court Finds That The Contract Clause Is Not Absolute, Size Of The Supreme Court
Home Building & Loan Association
John H. Blaisdell
That the 1933 Minnesota Mortgage Moratorium Law, intended to avert mortgage foreclosures during the Great Depression, violated the Contract Clause of Article I of the Constitution, which bars state impairment of the obligations of contracts.
Chief Lawyers for Appellant
Karl H. Covell, Alfred W. Bowen
Chief Lawyers for Appellee
Harry H. Peterson, William S. Ervin
Justices for the Court
Louis D. Brandeis, Benjamin N. Cardozo, Charles Evans Hughes (writing for the Court), Owen Josephus Roberts, Harlan Fiske Stone
Pierce Butler, James Clark McReynolds, George Sutherland, Willis Van Devanter
Date of Decision
8 January 1934
By a vote of 5-4, the Supreme Court upheld the Minnesota statute.
- Railroad Commission Cases, 116 U.S. 307 (1886).
- Block v. Hirsch, 256 U.S. 135 (1921).
- Marcus Brown Holding Co. v. Feldman, 256 U.S. 170 (1921).
- Edgar A. Levy Leasing Co. v. Siegel, 258 U.S. 242 (1922).
- Stephenson v. Binford, 287 U.S. 251 (1932).
World Book Encyclopedia, 1993, p. 364.
- Butler, Henry N. The Corporation and the Constitution. Washington, DC: AEI Press, 1995.
- Lash, Joseph P. Dealers and Dreamers: A New Look at the New Deal. New York: Doubleday, 1988.
- Leuchtenburg, William Edward. The Supreme Court Reborn: The Constitutional Revolution in the Age of Revolution. New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Humphrey's Executor v. United States - Significance, Separation Of Powers Requires That The President's Removal Power Be Limited, Further Readings
- Herndon v. Lowry: 1937 - Herndon Arrested "on Suspicion", Herndon Becomes A Political Symbol, U.s. Supreme Court Hears The Case
- Home Building Loan Association v. Blaisdell - Significance
- Home Building Loan Association v. Blaisdell - Supreme Court Finds That The Contract Clause Is Not Absolute
- Home Building Loan Association v. Blaisdell - Size Of The Supreme Court
- Home Building Loan Association v. Blaisdell - The Great Depression
- Other Free Encyclopedias