Mahan v. Howell
Significance, What Is The Percentage?, Home-port Or Home Address?, Flexibility And Local Control
Mahan, Secretary, Virginia State Board of Elections, and others
Henry E. Howell, Jr., Clive L. DuVal II, City of Norfolk, and others
The district court had invalidated the Virginia General Assembly's plan for redistricting in state elections and had substituted an unfair plan of its own.
Chief Lawyer for Appellees
Andrew P. Miller, Attorney General of Virginia
Chief Lawyers for Appellants
Henry E. Howell, Jr., and Clive L. DuVal II, arguing for themselves
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, Warren E. Burger, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist (writing for the Court), Potter Stewart, Byron R. White
William J. Brennan, Jr., William O. Douglas, Thurgood Marshall
Date of Decision
21 February 1973
That the Virginia General Assembly's plan was constitutional and should be upheld, except for its handling of 36,700 people who were "home-ported" at the U.S. Naval Station at Norfolk; in that case, the Court approved the district court's revision of the state plan.
- Colegrove v. Green, 328 U.S. 549 (1946).
- Wesberry v. Sanders, 376 U.S. 1 (1964).
- Karcher v. Daggett, 462 U.S. 725 (1983).
- Miller v. Johnson, 515 U.S. 900 (1995).
- Shaw v. Hunt, 517 U.S. 899 (1996).
- Bush v. Vera, 517 U.S. 952 (1996).
- Abrams v. Johnson, 521 U.S. 74 (1997).
Grolier Electronic Publishing, Inc., 1995.
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- Hall, Kermit L., ed. Oxford Companion to the Supreme Court of the United States. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Maher v. Roe - Significance, Doctor's Certification Needed, Not A Protected Class, A Distressing Insensitivity, Legal Consequences Of Maher V. Roe
- Lockett v. Ohio - Significance, Did She Deserve To Die?, Deciding Who Shall Die, The Mitigating Factors, The Evidence A Defendant Can Present
- Mahan v. Howell - Significance
- Mahan v. Howell - What Is The Percentage?
- Mahan v. Howell - Home-port Or Home Address?
- Mahan v. Howell - Flexibility And Local Control
- Mahan v. Howell - Equality Of Representation
- Mahan v. Howell - Gerrymandering
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1973 to 1980