Hodgson v. Minnesota
Judicial Background, The Case At Hand, The Lower Courts Rule, The Supreme Court Affirms The Court Of Appeals Decision
Jane Hodgson, et al.
State of Minnesota, et al.
That a Minnesota law requiring minors to notify both their parents before obtaining an abortion was unconstitutional.
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Sandra Day O'Connor, John Paul Stevens (writing for the Court)
Anthony M. Kennedy, William H. Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia, Byron R. White
Date of Decision
25 June 1990
Affirmed the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals holding the two-parent notification policy unconstitutional where there is no provision for judicial bypass.
The Supreme Court's decision in Hodgson v. Minnesota slowed the trend toward restriction of abortion rights begun in Webster v. Reproductive Health Services. However, its split judgment reflected the ambivalence of the Court in cases dealing with statutory constraints on the availability of abortion.
The "split decision" issued by the Court in Hodgson v. Minnesota did little to clarify the Court's position on the restriction of abortion rights, but provided grist for both sides of the issue in subsequent cases.
- Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973).
- Akron v. Akron Center for Reproductive Health, 462 U.S. 416 (1983).
- Webster v. Reproductive Health Services, 492 U.S. 490 (1989).
- Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey, 505 U.S. 833 (1992).
- Horton v. California - Significance, Background Laws And Decisions, The Crime And The Evidence, The Case Of Terry Horton
- Harris v. Forklift - Significance, Harris Files A Lawsuit, Discrimination By Any Other Name, Justice Clarence Thomas, Further Readings
- Hodgson v. Minnesota - Judicial Background
- Hodgson v. Minnesota - Further Readings
- Hodgson v. Minnesota - The Case At Hand
- Hodgson v. Minnesota - The Lower Courts Rule
- Hodgson v. Minnesota - The Supreme Court Affirms The Court Of Appeals Decision
- Hodgson v. Minnesota - Voices Of Dissent
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1989 to 1994