Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur
Significance, Mandatory Maternity Leave, A Violation Of Due Process?, Impact, Maternity Leave, Further Readings
Cleveland Board of Education, et al.
Jo Carol LaFleur, Ann Elizabeth Nelson
That a school board policy mandating that pregnant teachers go on an unpaid leave of absence beginning five months before the expected birth of the child and ending the school semester after the child is three months old was constitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioners
Charles F. Clarke
Chief Lawyer for Respondents
Jane M. Picker
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., William O. Douglas, Thurgood Marshall, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Potter Stewart (writing for the Court), Byron R. White
Warren E. Burger, William H. Rehnquist
Date of Decision
21 January 1974
Denied the petitioners' claim and upheld the ruling of the court of appeals that the school board's policy regarding mandatory unpaid leave for pregnant teachers violated the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and was not legally binding.
- Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158 (1944).
- Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (1965).
- Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973).
- Geduldig v. Aiello, 417 U.S. 484 (1974).
Eberlein, Tamara. "Get the Best Maternity Leave for You (and Your Baby)." Redbook, December 1997.
Sturgeon, Jeff. "General Electric Workers' Suit Paved Way for Paid Maternity Leave." Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, 12 October 1998.
- Coker v. Georgia - Significance, On Appeal, The Verdict, Nothing Left To Lose, Ginsburg Revisits Her Brief
- Central Hudson Gas and Electric Corp. v. Public Service Commission of NewYork - Significance, The Four-part Test, Questioning The Four-part Test, Further Readings
- Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur - Further Readings
- Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur - Significance
- Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur - Mandatory Maternity Leave
- Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur - A Violation Of Due Process?
- Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur - Impact
- Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur - Maternity Leave
- Other Free Encyclopedias