Allen v. Wright and Donald T. Regan v. Inez Wright - Significance, Questions Of Standing, Impact, Related Cases, Class Action Lawsuits
W. Wayne Allen, Donald T. Regan
Inez Wright, et al.
Petitioners claimed that although the suit sought declaratory and injunctive relief, the respondents did not have sufficient standing to bring suit since their children never applied for admission to any private school.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioners
Rex E. Lee, U.S. Solicitor General in case No. 81-970, and William J. Landers II, in case No. 81-757
Chief Lawyer for Respondents
Robert H. Kapp
Justices for the Court
Warren E. Burger, Sandra Day O'Connor (writing for the Court), Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist, Byron R. White
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., John Paul Stevens (Thurgood Marshall did not participate)
Date of Decision
3 July 1984
The U.S. Supreme Court held that the respondents (parents of African American public school students in seven states undergoing desegregation) lacked standing to bring suit alleging that the IRS had not fulfilled its obligations regarding the denial of tax-exempt status to private schools that practiced racial discrimination with respect to student enrollment.
Hooper, Laural L. , Robert J. Niemic, and Thomas E. Willging. Empirical Study of Class Actions in Four Federal District Courts. Washington, DC: Federal Judicial Center, 1996.
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- Mello, Michael. "Defunding Death." American Criminal Law Review, summer 1995, p. 933.
- et al. v. W.R. Grace Anne Anderson and Beatrice Foods: 1986 - Taking On Two Giants, Verdict Is Thrown Out By Judge, Judge Denies Request For New Trial
- Alcee Hastings Trial and Impeachment: 1983 1989 - The Alleged Plot, The Trial, Phase Two, The Impeachment Trial, Hastings Rebounds
- Allen v. Wright and Donald T. Regan v. Inez Wright - Significance
- Allen v. Wright and Donald T. Regan v. Inez Wright - Questions Of Standing
- Allen v. Wright and Donald T. Regan v. Inez Wright - Impact
- Allen v. Wright and Donald T. Regan v. Inez Wright - Related Cases
- Allen v. Wright and Donald T. Regan v. Inez Wright - Class Action Lawsuits
- Other Free Encyclopedias