Massachusetts Board of Retirement v. Murgia
Significance, Rationality Of Mandatory Retirement, Not The Best Means . . . But Rational Means, Impact
Massachusetts Board of Retirement, et al.
Robert D. Murgia
The state of Massachusetts Board of Retirement believed their provision for mandatory retirement of police officers at age 50 was rationally related to the interest of protecting the public and therefore did not violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
Chief Lawyer for Appellant
Terence P. O'Malley
Chief Lawyer for Appellee
Robert D. City
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Warren E. Burger, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist, Potter Stewart, Byron R. White (unsigned)
Thurgood Marshall (John Paul Stevens did not participate)
Date of Decision
25 June 1976
There was no violation of the Equal Protection Clause: the state of Massachusetts' mandatory retirement provision rationally furthered its purpose of protecting the public by assuring physical fitness of the state police officers.
- Shapiro v. Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969).
- Dandridge v. Williams, 397 U.S. 471 (1970).
- San Antonio School District v. Rodriguez, 411 U.S. 1 (1973).
- McIlvaine v. Pennsylvania, 415 U.S. 986 (1974).
- Cannon v. Guste, 423 U.S. 918 (1975).
- Weisbrod v. Lynn, 420 U.S. 940 (1975).
"Supreme Court Raises Barrier to Forced Retirement Rules." Criminal Justice Newsletter, July 15, 1985, pp. 1-2.
- Jackson, Vicki C. "Coeur d'Alene, Federal Courts and the Supremacy of Federal Law." Constitutional Commentary, summer 1998, p. 301.
- Tushnet, Mark V. "Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr.: A Biography." Michigan Law Review, May 1995, p. 1854.
- Mathews v. Eldridge - Significance, Due Process Is Flexible, Hearing Should Come Before Termination Of Benefits, Impact
- The Marvin V. Marvin "Palimony" Suit: 1979 - Trial Enthralls Spectators, Career Claim Fails, Suggestions For Further Reading
- Massachusetts Board of Retirement v. Murgia - Significance
- Massachusetts Board of Retirement v. Murgia - Rationality Of Mandatory Retirement
- Massachusetts Board of Retirement v. Murgia - Not The Best Means . . . But Rational Means
- Massachusetts Board of Retirement v. Murgia - Impact
- Massachusetts Board of Retirement v. Murgia - Forced Retirement And Public-safety Officers
- Other Free Encyclopedias