California v. Carney - Is It A Car Or A Home?, It Is A Car, It Is A Home
State of California
Charles R. Carney
That the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is not violated when a police officer conducts a warrantless search of a mobile home.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Louis R. Hanoian
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Thomas F. Homann
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, Warren E. Burger (writing for the Court), Sandra Day O'Connor, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist, Byron R. White
William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, John Paul Stevens
Date of Decision
13 May 1985
The warrantless search of a motor mobile home does not violate the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
The decision established that motor mobile homes may not receive the heightened protection from warrantless police searches to which stationary homes are entitled. Instead, motor mobile homes are more akin to automobiles, which police may search without a warrant and with probable cause.
- Carroll v. United States, 267 U.S. 132 (1925).
- South Dakota v. Opperman, 428 U.S. 364 (1976).
- United States v. Chadwick, 433 U.S. 1 (1977).
- Payton v. New York, 445 U.S. 573 (1980).
- United States v. Ross, 456 U.S. 798 (1982).
West's Encyclopedia of American Law. St. Paul, MN: West Group, 1998.
- Bradley, Craig M. "The Court's `Two Model' Approach to the Fourth Amendment: Carpe Diem." Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, fall 1993, p. 429.
- Hall, Kermit L., ed. The Oxford Companion to the Supreme Court of the United States. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Nation, May 25, 1985, p. 612.
- Newsweek, May 27, 1985, p. 89.
- California v. Ciraolo - Significance, Unresonable Search And Seizure, The Liability Of Open Airspace, Impact
- N.J. Building Trades Council v. City of Camden - Significance, Further Readings
- California v. Carney - Is It A Car Or A Home?
- California v. Carney - It Is A Car
- California v. Carney - It Is A Home
- California v. Carney - Impact
- California v. Carney - Warrantless Searches
- Other Free Encyclopedias