Thompson v. Oklahoma - A Question Of Age, The Consensus Of Society, Amnesty International On Capital Punishment
William Wayne Thompson
State of Oklahoma
That Thompson was a child at the time of his crime and should not be subjected to the death penalty.
Chief Lawyer for Appellant
Harry F. Tepker Jr.
Chief Lawyer for Appellee
David W. Lee, Oklahoma Assistant Attorney General
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Sandra Day O'Connor, John Paul Stevens (writing for the Court)
William H. Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia, Byron R. White (Anthony M. Kennedy did not participate)
Date of Decision
29 June 1988
The Oklahoma Court's death sentence against Thompson was overturned and the case was remanded.
The decision established a national standard recognizing that sentencing defendants under 16 years old to death constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment" which is prohibited by the Eighth Amendment.
- Trop v. Dulles, 356 U.S. 86 (1958).
- Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 (1972).
- Gregg v. Georgia, 428 U.S. 153 (1976).
- Penry v. Lynaugh, 492 U.S. 302 (1989).
- Stanford v. Kentucky, 492 U.S. 361 (1989).
Amnesty International, http://www.amnesty.org.
- "Juveniles and the Death Penalty: Executions Worldwide since 1985." Amnesty International Index: ACT 50/05/95.
- Taylor, Stuart, Jr. "Justices Put Age Limit On Executions."New York Times, June 30, 1988, p. 17.
- Tushnet, Mark. The Death Penalty. New York: Facts On File, 1994.
- Whitford, Ellen. "How A Family Tragedy May Lead To A Landmark Court Ruling." Scholastic Update, April 8, 1988, pp. 10-12.
- Thornburgh v. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists - Significance, Supreme Court Upholds The Right To Abortion, Further Readings
- Thomas v. Review Board of the Indiana Employment Security Division - Significance, The Lower Court Rulings, The Supreme Court Decides
- Thompson v. Oklahoma - A Question Of Age
- Thompson v. Oklahoma - The Consensus Of Society
- Thompson v. Oklahoma - Amnesty International On Capital Punishment
- Other Free Encyclopedias