International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee
Running The Gamut, Hare Krishna And The Public Forum Doctrine, Defining A Public Forum, Impact
International Society for Krishna Consciousness, et al.
Walter Lee, Police Superintendent of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
That the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's regulations against soliciting funds and distributing literature inside airports under its control violated the First Amendment's protection of freedom of speech.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioners
Barry A. Fisher
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Arthur P. Berg
Justices for the Court
Sandra Day O'Connor, William H. Rehnquist (writing for the Court), Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas, Byron R. White
Harry A. Blackmun, Anthony M. Kennedy, David H. Souter, John Paul Stevens
Date of Decision
26 June 1992
Denied the petitioners' claim, upholding a court of appeals decision that airports did not constitute public fora, and as such are legally justified in regulating speech on their premises in a "reasonable" manner.
The ruling placed airports in the category of nonpublic fora for the purpose of evaluating government regulation of speech. Under the public forum doctrine, regulation of speech in nonpublic fora need only be "reasonable and content neutral."
- Hague v. Committee for Industrial Organization, 307 U.S. 486 (1939).
- Perry Education Association v. Perry Local Educators' Association, 460 U.S. 37 (1983).
- Board of Airport Commissioners of Los Angeles v. Jews for Jesus, 482 U.S. 569 (1983).
- Cornelius v. NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, 473 U.S. 788 (1985).
- United States v. Kokinda, 497 U.S. 720 (1990).
- Ira Einhorn Trial: 1993 - An Abusive Relationship Leads To Murder, Defendant Flees The Country, A Trial Without The Defendant Present
- In Re Baby Girl Clausen - Significance, A Change Of Heart, Iowa Is Judged Home, Impact, Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee - Running The Gamut
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee - Further Readings
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee - Hare Krishna And The Public Forum Doctrine
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee - Defining A Public Forum
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness v. Lee - Impact
- Other Free Encyclopedias