Board of Education of Kiryas Joel v. Grumet
Kiryas Joel, Retrenchment And Renewed Controversy, Lower Court Rulings, Challenging The Lemon Test, Legal Impact
Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District
Louis Grumet, et al.
That Chapter 748 of New York State Law, enabling creation of a separate school district to provide special education to the children of Kiryas Joel village, did not violate the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution mandating the separation of church and state.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Anthony M. Kennedy, Sandra Day O'Connor, David H. Souter (writing for the Court), John Paul Stevens
Antonin Scalia, William H. Rehnquist, Clarence Thomas
Date of Decision
27 June 1994
Denied the petitioner's claim and upheld the decisions of the New York state trial court and New York court of appeals, which ruled that Chapter 748 of New York State Law impermissibly advanced religion.
The ruling provided further elaboration of the test for deciding violation of the Establishment Clause created in Lemon v. Kurtzman (1971). While neither affirming nor completely abandoning the Lemon test, the Court referred to Lemon throughout its decision. Despite this reference to Lemon, several justices deemed the Lemon test flawed, leaving the future method of decision in Establishment Clause issues in doubt.
- Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971).
- Larkin v. Grendel's Den, 459 U.S. 116 (1982).
- Grand Rapids School District v. Ball, 473 U.S. 373 (1985).
- Aguilar v. Felton, 473 U.S. 402 (1985).
- "Church-State Separation Case to be Heard." The Christian Century, January 5, 1994, p. 8-10.
- Coyle, Marcia. "Drawing a New Line on Religion?" National Law Journal, April 4, 1994, p. A1.
- Rabkin, Jeremy "The Curious Case of Kiryas Joel." Commentary, November 1994, p. 59.
- Simon, Barbara A., Esq., "Kiryas Joel's Impact on Separation," http://www.ifas.org/fw/9410/kiryas.
- New York C A Carbone v. Town of Clarkstown - Significance, Further Readings
- Bensonhurst Murder Trial: 1990 - Racial Jealousy Leads To Murder, Police Quickly Arrest Suspects, Racial Tensions Boil Over, Controversial And Complicated Verdicts
- Board of Education of Kiryas Joel v. Grumet - Kiryas Joel
- Board of Education of Kiryas Joel v. Grumet - Retrenchment And Renewed Controversy
- Board of Education of Kiryas Joel v. Grumet - Lower Court Rulings
- Board of Education of Kiryas Joel v. Grumet - Challenging The Lemon Test
- Board of Education of Kiryas Joel v. Grumet - Legal Impact
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1989 to 1994