Goldman v. Weinberger
Significance, The Government's Interest In Defense, A Passionate Dissent, Impact
S. Simcha Goldman
Caspar W. Weinberger, U.S. Secretary of Defense, et al.
That the U.S. Air Force regulations on uniform dress preventing petitioner from wearing a yarmulke while on duty violate his First Amendment right to free exercise of religion, and that the Supreme Court reverse the U.S. Court of Appeals prior ruling that strict enforcement of Air Force regulations is permissible.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Kathryn A. Oberly
Justices for the Court
Warren E. Burger, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., William H. Rehnquist (writing for the Court), John Paul Stevens, Byron R. White
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Sandra Day O'Connor
Date of Decision
25 March 1986
Upheld the lower court's ruling that the First Amendment does not require the U.S. Air Force to allow an Orthodox Jew to wear a yarmulke, which violates uniform regulations, while on duty.
- Goldman v. Secretary of Defense, 530 F.Supp. 12 (1981).
- Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. City of Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993).
- Evans, Bette Novit. Interpreting the Free Exercise of Religion: The Constitution and American Pluralism. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1997.
- Rotunda & Nowak, Treatise on Constitutional Law: Substance and Procedure, 2nd ed. Vol. 4-13, Chapter 21.
- Silverglate, Harvey A. "Paying the Piper Who Protects Our Freedoms." The National Law Journal, April 29, 1996, p. A17.
- Grand Rapids School District v. Ball - Significance, Separating Public And Religious Education, Taking The Lemon Test, The End Of A Symbolic Union
- Globe Newspaper Co. v. Superior Court for the County of Norfolk - Significance, The Right To Privacy Vs. The Public's Right To Know, Protecting Minors From Trauma
- Goldman v. Weinberger - Significance
- Goldman v. Weinberger - The Government's Interest In Defense
- Goldman v. Weinberger - A Passionate Dissent
- Goldman v. Weinberger - Impact
- Other Free Encyclopedias