Environmental Protection Agency
Air, Noise, And Radiation Programs, Water And Waste Management Programs, Solid Waste Emergency Response Programs
The purpose of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is to protect and enhance the environment in the present and for future generations to the fullest extent possible under the laws enacted by Congress. The mission of the agency is to control and abate POLLUTION in the areas of air, water, solid waste, noise, radiation, and toxic substances. The mandate of the EPA is to mount an integrated, coordinated attack on environmental pollution in cooperation with state and local governments.
The Environmental Protection Agency was established in the EXECUTIVE BRANCH as an independent agency pursuant to REORGANIZATION PLAN No. 3 of 1970, effective December 2, 1970. The EPA was created to permit coordinated and effective governmental action on behalf of the environment. The EPA endeavors to abate and control pollution systematically, by proper integration of a variety of research, monitoring, standard setting, and enforcement activities. As a complement to its other activities, the EPA coordinates and supports research and antipollution activities by state and local governments, private and public groups, individuals, and educational institutions. The EPA also reinforces efforts among other federal agencies with respect to the impact of their operations on the environment, and it is specifically charged with publishing its determinations when those hold that a proposal is unsatisfactory from the standpoint of public health or welfare or environmental quality. In all, the EPA is designed to serve as the advocate of the public for a livable environment.
- Environmental Law - Common Law, Statutory Law, Environmental Justice, Further Readings
- Environmental Protection Agency - Air, Noise, And Radiation Programs
- Environmental Protection Agency - Water And Waste Management Programs
- Environmental Protection Agency - Solid Waste Emergency Response Programs
- Environmental Protection Agency - Legal And Enforcement Counsel
- Environmental Protection Agency - Pesticides And Toxic Substances Programs
- Environmental Protection Agency - Research And Development
- Environmental Protection Agency - Major Developments
- Environmental Protection Agency - Further Readings
- Other Free Encyclopedias