George Franklin Comstock
George Franklin Comstock was born August 24, 1811, in Williamstown, New York. He graduated from Union College in 1834, was admitted to the New York bar in 1837, and received an honorary doctor of laws degree in 1858.
In 1847, Comstock began his service in the New York judiciary system as first reporter of the New York Court of Appeals, a position he held until 1851. From 1852 to 1853, he served as SOLICITOR GENERAL of the United States, then returned to the New York courts as justice of the New York Court of Appeals in 1855. He sat on the bench until 1861, becoming chief justice in 1860. In 1868, he was a representative at the New York Constitutional Convention.
Comstock pursued interests in the field of education in addition to his legal career. He was a trustee of Hobart College from 1870 to 1877 and of Syracuse University from 1870 to 1890. He established the St. John's School for Boys, which is located in Manilus, New York.
In the literary field, Comstock acted as editor for Kent's Commentaries.
Comstock died September 27, 1892, in Syracuse, New York.