less than 1 minute read


Derivative Citizenship

A child born in a foreign country can become a U.S. citizen if his or her parents become naturalized U.S. citizens. If the child is brought to the United States before becoming an adult, and the child's parents become citizens, then the child is entitled to claim U.S. citizenship when he or she becomes an adult. Although his or her birth certificate will still reflect a foreign-born status, a person in this situation can obtain a certificate of nationality by filing an application with the SECRETARY OF STATE.

Additional topics

Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationFree Legal Encyclopedia: Child Pornography to CoachCitizens - Citizen Of A State, American Citizenship, Derivative Citizenship, Rights Of U.s. Citizens