Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director
Significance, The Accident, Who Decides?, Defining Life, Court Rejects Parents' Appeal, Discontinuance Of Life-support V. Assisted Suicide
Nancy Beth Cruzan, by her parents and co-guardians, Lester L. Cruzan, et ux.
Director, Missouri Department of Health, et al.
That the state of Missouri had no authority to interfere with the parents' wish to remove the tube that supplied food and water to Nancy Cruzan.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
William H. Colby
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Robert L. Presson, Attorney General of Missouri
Justices for the Court
Anthony M. Kennedy, Sandra Day O'Connor, William H. Rehnquist (writing for the Court), Antonin Scalia, Byron R. White
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, John Paul Stevens
Date of Decision
25 June 1990
The Court upheld the Missouri State Supreme Court's decision rejecting the Cruzans' petition to withdraw food and water from their daughter.
- In the Matter of Quinlan, 355 A.2d 647 (1976).
- Compassion In Dying v. State of Washington, 49 F.3d 586 (1995).
Constitutional Law: Thirteenth Edition New York City, NY: The Foundation Press Inc., 1997.
- Kinsley, Michael. "To Be Or Not to Be." New Republic, 27 November 1989, p. 6.
- "Right-to-Die Case Argued." Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report, 9 December 1989, p. 3370.
- Sanders, Alain L. "Whose Right to Die?" Time, 11 December 1990, p. 80.
- Urofsky, Melvin I. Letting Go: Death, Dying, and the Law. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1993.
- Inc. v. CompuServe Cubby Inc. - Significance, Impact, Regulation Of The Internet
- Crown Heights Trials: 1992 1997 - A Bloody Knife And A Riot, "why Did You Stab Me?", Civil Rights Charges Brought
- Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director - Significance
- Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director - The Accident
- Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director - Who Decides?
- Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director - Defining Life
- Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director - Court Rejects Parents' Appeal
- Missouri Department of Health Cruzan v. Director - Discontinuance Of Life-support V. Assisted Suicide
- Other Free Encyclopedias