Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J)
Significance, Stimulus, Response, An Invasion Of Privacy?, In Loco Parentis, Impact, Teenagers And The Availability Of Drugs
Vernonia School District 47J
Wayne Acton, et al.
That a school policy mandating random drug testing for participants in interscholastic athletic programs did not violate Fourth Amendment prohibitions against illegal search and seizure.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Timothy R. Volpert, John A. Matterazzo, Davis Wright Tremaine
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Thomas M. Christ, John A. Wittmayer, Steven R. Shapiro
Justices for the Court
Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Anthony M. Kennedy, William H. Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia (writing for the Court), Clarence Thomas
Sandra Day O'Connor, David H. Souter, John Paul Stevens
Date of Decision
26 June 1995
Upheld the school district's claim, vacating a judgement by the court of appeals and remanding the case for further proceedings in the court of appeals consistent with a finding that Vernonia's student athlete drug testing policy did not violate Fourth Amendment prohibitions against unreasonable search and seizure.
- Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979).
- New Jersey v. T.L.O., 469 U.S. 325 (1985).
- Skinner v. Railway Executives' Association, 489 U.S. 602 (1989).
Bureau of Justice Statistics Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics--1996. Washington, DC: U.S. Government, 1997.
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington DC: Congressional Quarterly Inc., 1990.
- Legal Information Institute and Project Hermes. http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/94590.ZS.html.
- Vincent Doan Trial: 1997 - Culberson's Disappearance, Past Physical Abuse
- Vacco v. Quill - A Two-edged Sword, Equal Protection?, Omission And Commission, Impact, States That Allow Assisted Suicide
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - Significance
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - Stimulus
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - Response
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - An Invasion Of Privacy?
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - In Loco Parentis
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - Impact
- Vernonia School District v. Acton (47J) - Teenagers And The Availability Of Drugs
- Other Free Encyclopedias