Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn
Significance, The Circumstances, At Issue: Privacy, At Issue: Censorship, The Court's Decision
Cox Broadcasting Corp.
That a television station, newspaper, or other media outlet has the right to make public the name of a crime victim, if it was obtained through standard access to public documents.
Chief Lawyer for Appellant
Chief Lawyer for Appellee
Stephen A. Land
Justices for the Court
Harry A. Blackmun, William J. Brennan, Jr., Warren E. Burger, William O. Douglas, Thurgood Marshall, Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Potter Stewart, Byron R. White (writing for the Court)
William H. Rehnquist
Date of Decision
3 March 1975
Struck down the Georgia statute that permitted the late victim's parent to sue for damages.
- Craig v. Harney, 331 U.S. 367 (1947).
- New York Times v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964).
Knappman, Edward W., ed. Great American Trials. Detroit, MI: Visible Ink Press, 1994.
- Editor & Publisher, May 18, 1991, pp. 49-52; May 25, 1991, p. 32; August 13, 1994, p. 48.
- Johnson, John W., ed. Historic U.S. Court Cases, 1690-1990: An Encyclopedia. New York: Garland Publishing, 1992.
- Ms., July/August 1991, pp. 102-103.
- New York Times, March 4, 1975; March 6, 1975.
- Time, December 30, 1991, p. 61.
- Village Voice, December 21, 1991.
- Craig v. Boren - Significance, Further Readings
- Communist Party of Indiana v. Whitcomb - Significance, Court Strikes Law Down
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - Significance
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - The Circumstances
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - At Issue: Privacy
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - At Issue: Censorship
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - The Court's Decision
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - Impact
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - I'm Not A Blue Blob. I'm A Person.
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - Pro And Con: Publishing Crime Victims' Names
- Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn - New Bedford Rape Trial
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1973 to 1980