Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigation Committee
Significance, Investigating Suspected Communists, Strengthening The Individual Freedom Of Association, Justifying The Legislative Power Of Investigation
Theodore R. Gibson
Florida Legislative Investigation Committee
That requiring the Miami branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People to use its membership list during investigative hearings to determine if its membership included alleged Communists violated the members' constitutional right to freedom of association.
Chief Lawyer for Petitioner
Robert L. Carter
Chief Lawyer for Respondent
Mark R. Hawes
Justices for the Court
Hugo Lafayette Black, William J. Brennan, Jr., William O. Douglas, Arthur Goldberg (writing for the Court), Earl Warren
Tom C. Clark, John Marshall Harlan II, Potter Stewart, Byron R. White
Date of Decision
25 March 1963
Upheld the petitioner's claim and reversed the Supreme Court of Florida's affirmance of the trial court's judgment of contempt.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People v. Alabama, 357 U.S. 449 (1958).
- Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigative Committee, 108 So.2d 729 (Fla. 1959).
- Uphaus v. Wyman, 360 U.S. 72 (1959).
- Bates v. City of Little Rock, 361 U.S. 516 (1960).
- Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976).
- Biskupic, Joan and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- Cushman, Robert F. Leading Constitutional Decisions. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1982.
- Haynes, John Earl. Red Scare or Red Menace?: American Communism and Anticommunism in the Cold War Era. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee, 1996.
- Gideon v. Wainwright - Significance, Court Unanimously Votes To Overturn Betts V. Brady, The Warren Court, Further Readings
- Georgetown College v. Jones: 1963 - Crisis Develops At Georgetown Hospital, Suggestions For Further Reading
- Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigation Committee - Significance
- Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigation Committee - Investigating Suspected Communists
- Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigation Committee - Strengthening The Individual Freedom Of Association
- Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigation Committee - Justifying The Legislative Power Of Investigation
- Gibson v. Florida Legislative Investigation Committee - Subsequent Decisions
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Law Library - American Law and Legal InformationNotable Trials and Court Cases - 1963 to 1972