Sherbert v. Verner
Legal Context, High Court Reverses, Dissenting Opinion, Sherbert Test
Verner, et al.
That South Carolina's denial of unemployment benefits to a Seventh Day Adventist who refused to work on Saturdays constituted a violation of her constitutional right to freely exercise her religion.
Chief Lawyer for Appellant
Daniel R. McLeod
Chief Lawyer for Appellees
William D. Donnelly
Justices for the Court
Hugo Lafayette Black, William J. Brennan, Jr. (writing for the Court), Tom C. Clark, William O. Douglas, Arthur Goldberg, Potter Stewart, Earl Warren
John Marshall Harlan II, Byron R. White
Date of Decision
17 June 1963
South Carolina's denial of unemployment benefits to Adeil Sherbert, a Seventh Day Adventist, was held to be a violation of her constitutional free exercise rights under the First Amendment.
The Supreme Court's decision in Sherbert v. Verner substantially broadened its protection of the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.
The Supreme Court's decision in Sherbert v. Verner signaled a shift in the Court's attitude toward expanded protection for the free exercise of religion. In subsequent cases like Thomas v. Review Board of the Indiana Employment Security Division (1981), the Court further restricted a state's ability to deny benefits to religious observers.
- Solomon v. South Carolina, 382 U.S. 204 (1965).
- Russell v. Catherwood, 399 U.S. 936 (1970).
- Roach v. United States, 406 U.S. 935 (1972).
- Thomas v. Review Board of the Indiana Employment Security Division, 450 U.S. 707 (1981).
Eastland, Terry. Religious Liberty in the Supreme Court. Washington, DC: Ethics and Public Policy Center, 1993.
- Biskupic, Joan, and Elder Witt, eds. Congressional Quarterly's Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court, 3rd ed. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1996.
- Chandler, Ralph C. The Constitutional Law Dictionary. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, Inc., 1987.
- Sirhan Bishara Sirhan Trial: 1969 - A Murder Plan, Cynical Performance, Suggestions For Further Reading
- Shapiro v. Thompson - Significance, The Right To Interstate Travel, Legitimate Government Objectives?, Impact, Temporary Assistance For Needy Families
- Sherbert v. Verner - Legal Context
- Sherbert v. Verner - High Court Reverses
- Sherbert v. Verner - Dissenting Opinion
- Sherbert v. Verner - Sherbert Test
- Other Free Encyclopedias