Tennessee v. Scopes
Significance, The Circus Comes To Dayton, Evolution On Trial, Darrow Deflates Bryan, Teaching Evolutionism
State of Tennessee
John Thomas Scopes
William Jennings Bryan; A.T. Stewart, Attorney General of Tennessee
Chief Defense Lawyers
Clarence Darrow, Arthur Garfield Hays, Dudley Field Malone
John T. Raulston
Date of Decision
21 July 1925
Guilty; however, neither side won the case because the decision was reversed on a technicality involving the judge's error in imposing a fine that legally could only be set by the jury.
Spaid, Elizabeth Levitan. "Scopes Revisited: South Puts Creationism Into Classroom."The Christian Science Monitor, 8 March 1996
- Thomas Massie Trial: 1932 - Mother-in-law Takes Charge, "is This Your Handwriting?"
- The Teapot Dome Trials: 1926-30 - Fall Owed Eight Years' Back Taxes, "sluice-way For Ninety Percent Of The Corruption"
- Tennessee v. Scopes - Further Readings
- Tennessee v. Scopes - Significance
- Tennessee v. Scopes - The Circus Comes To Dayton
- Tennessee v. Scopes - Evolution On Trial
- Tennessee v. Scopes - Darrow Deflates Bryan
- Tennessee v. Scopes - Teaching Evolutionism
- Other Free Encyclopedias