The Education Of A Genius, Domestic Terrorism, Defining The "unabom", The Freedom Club
Born May 22, 1942 (Evergreen Park, Illinois)
Ted Kaczynski was an American terrorist who used his crimes to draw attention to his political views. His campaign to fight what he believed was the evil of technological progress was waged with bombs he delivered or mailed to sixteen different places across the country. Over a period of eighteen years, Kaczynski killed three people and wounded twenty-three others with his bomb devices. His primary targets were people he associated with computers and other high-tech industries.
Kaczynski believed that modern industrial civilization was destroying nature, alienating humans from one another, and manipulating people's minds and attitudes. In his writings, which became commonly known as the "Unabomber Manifesto," Kaczynski argued for the destruction of the industrial system in order to rid the world of modern technology and free humanity.
For More Information
Chase, Alton. Harvard and the Unabomber: The Educations of an American Terrorist. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2003.
Fridell, Ron. Terrorism: Political Violence at Home and Abroad. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Publishers, Inc., 2001.
Gottesman, Ronald, ed. Violence in America: An Encyclopedia. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1999.
"Famous Nonmathematicians." Loyola College in Maryland. http://www.loyola.edu/mathsci/resources/famousnonmathematicians.htm (accessed on August 15, 2004).
"Should We Have Second Thoughts About Kacz[y]nski." American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/monitor/mar98/sp.html (accessed on August 15, 2004).
- Estes Kefauver - A Love Of The Law, Political Persuasions, An Honest Man, Organized Crime, The Great Campaigner
- Juveniles in the Adult System - Judicial Waiver And Individualized Sentencing, Legislative Offense Exclusion And Prosecutors' Choice Of Forum, Youth Crime And "get Tough" Politics
- Ted Kaczynski - The Education Of A Genius
- Ted Kaczynski - Domestic Terrorism
- Ted Kaczynski - Defining The "unabom"
- Ted Kaczynski - The Freedom Club
- Other Free Encyclopedias