Other Free Encyclopedias » Law Library - American Law and Legal Information » Crime and Criminal Law » Crime Victims - Victim Rights, Women Victims, The Right To Sue And Bear Witness, Victim Compensation Laws

Crime Victims - Women Victims

rape percent committed crimes

Though women are victimized by crime much less than men, the character of their victimization is quite different and generates much more fear. Men may have a 42 percent greater chance of becoming crime victims overall, but women experience the violent crimes of rape and sexual assault much more. Statistics indicate some five million women and girls over the age of twelve are victims of violent crime in the United States every year. One out of every six women is a victim of rape or attempted rape at some point in their lives. Some 870,000 rapes occur every year. Women between the ages of sixteen and twenty-four are more likely to be raped, with most raped prior to eighteen years of age.

Crimes against women are usually committed by a person they know well—a spouse or former spouse, boyfriend, family member, or friend. These attacks are the hardest to live with due to the personal nature of the crime. Only 16 percent of rapes are committed by strangers; over 30 percent of murders are committed by someone with whom the victim had a close relationship. The same pattern of familiarity follows in other crimes. Between 20 and 50 percent of women experience domestic abuse at least once in their lives. Statistics show that if a woman tries to leave an abusive relationship, it often turns more violent.

Studies have also shown women live with a greater fear of crime, especially rape. As a result, victim legislation often singles out female victims. In 1994 Congress passed the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) providing federal funding for victim assistance programs directed toward female victims of rape, stalking, domestic abuse, and sexual assault. In 1998 VAWA provided $172 million to women's programs.

Crime Victims - The Right To Sue And Bear Witness [next] [back] Crime Victims - Victim Rights

User Comments

Your email address will be altered so spam harvesting bots can't read it easily.
Hide my email completely instead?

Cancel or

Vote down Vote up

over 10 years ago

Sorry to hear your story Elizabeth. That is the kind of person that should spend time in Jail. The politics of abuse need to be dropped and people need to be charged for crimes at face value. However, VAWA is unconstitutional. When we allow rights of anyone to be stripped more rights will be lost in the future. VAWA is abusive as well.

A feminist immigration advocacy group called "Civil Society Helps" and attorney Martha J. Sullivan help perpetuate fraud against U.S. citizens and the United States of America for financial, ideological and political gain. Ironically, Civil Society Helps is funded by government programs such as VAWA ( Violence Against Women Act ). VAWA is frequently used as a business plan to bring funds to immigration advocacy groups and attorneys who specialize in immigration fraud to expedite a residency seeker's immigration process. Can you say aiding and abetting?

With false accusations from an immigrant residency seeker, a stable American citizen can be reduced to living in poverty. All of your assets can be seized and given to the immigrant even if you are not found guilty. You will immediately be forced to surrender a portion of your income to the immigrant . The courts may also order you to turn your motor vehicle over to the immigrant even if the immigrant does not have a driver's license or insurance.

Under VAWA and false accusations, your immigrant spouse becomes legal and you become illegal. The court system will abuse you and strip you of your rights while social programs that promote immigration fraud thrive.

The primary motivation for these advocacy groups is of course financial gain. However, the rabbit hole goes deeper and the "green" supports the "red" femi-nazi factor. Civil Society Helps sounds nice and peachy, but their ideology is skewed towards extreme feminism and socialism. Their goals of "equality" are achieved by unconstitutionally stripping a man of his possessions and home without due process or any finding of guilt. Their support for the immigrant community buys votes for the likes of Hillary Clinton who supports VAWA and immigration which supports the likes of the Civil Society. Are you starting to see the big picture now?

The immigration loopholes VAWA provides were purposely designed to appease the immigrant population which provides an unlimited supply and demand to fund groups like Civil Society Helps. VAWA is a billion dollar industry which oppresses men for financial, political and ideological gain. Immigration fraud is a federal crime. Groups that knowingly facilitate immigration fraud need to be held accountable.

Some of the Players in Minnesota

Attorney Martha J. Sullivan

Phone: 651.438.9992

1317 Vermillion St

Hastings, Minnesota 55033

Web: http://www.marthasullivanlaw.com/

Civil Society Helps

1st National Bank Building

332 Minnesota St, Suite E-1436

Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101

Phone: 651.291.0713

Fax: 651.291.2588

Web: http://civilsocietyhelps.org/

Casa de Esperanza ( Hope House )

1515 East Lake Street

Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407

Phone: 651.646.5553

Web: http://www.casadeesperanza.org/

VAWA gives more rights to illegals than citizens

Carey Roberts Carey Roberts

September 18, 2007

Attention, ladies of the world: The U.S. Congress has now granted you the Keys to Kingdom that will unlock the door to U.S. citizenship, a good-paying job, and tons of free services. Here's how it works.

First, get into the United States, anyway you can. If you're going to do it legally, a Temporary Worker visa is the easiest way. But why bother with the paperwork, just walk across the border when they're looking the other way!

Next, you need to find a man. Do it quickly before they can deport you. And preferably a guy who can't afford his own lawyer — I'll explain why in a minute.

Tell him you came to the United States to find a new life, to start over, whatever. Use your feminine wiles. Tell him how badly your previous boss or boyfriend treated you. Move in with him. If you can get pregnant or married, that much better.

Here's where it gets a little dicey, but if you follow my instructions carefully, you'll nail down that restraining order and hit the VAWA jackpot. Think of a time when he raised his voice, got angry, or told you to stop over-spending the bank account. In our abundant Land of Opportunity, all of those things are considered to be domestic violence!

Now all you have to do is go to a judge and say the argument you had last night made you feel afraid. If you can say it with a trembling lip or misted eye, that will work wonders. Or just accuse him of trying to "control" you. All this may sound unbelievable, but judges have been to lots of classes, and they know that domestic violence is all about power and control. If that doesn't work, just make something up about him shoving or forcing you to have sex. But don't claim he actually slugged you, or the judge might want to see the bruises — then you'd have some explaining to do.

Don't worry about your illegal status, because amazingly the judge is not allowed to ask. Not only that, judges are instructed, "A denial of a protective order would be discrimination based on national origin which is specifically prohibited by law." You can find that in the Arizona Domestic Violence Benchbook — right there on page 25: www.supreme.state.az.us/cidvc/PDF/DVBB.pdf .

That drive-through restraining order will get your husband or boyfriend kicked out of the house. Now the fun really begins.

First, claiming to be a battered woman (it's better to use red-meat words like "battered" rather than "abused") makes it almost impossible for the Citizenship and Immigration Service to deport you.

And now you can start to apply for a broad range of benefits — welfare, Medicaid, and child support. Remember, none of these programs need to know that you are an illegal immigrant — even if they ask, and don't have to answer.

Then you can go to the Immigration Service and "self-petition" for work authorization, permanent residency, and eventual citizenship. Form I-360 says all you need is an order of protection — so the 15 minutes you spent at the courthouse is already reaping huge dividends.

At some point they might ask you if you are a victim of battery or extreme cruelty. Don't worry, because if you look at the fine print, the law says your self-declaration is enough. That means whatever you say, they have to believe you. Didn't I tell you this was going to be a blast?

And there are loads of websites that give step-by-step instructions how to work the system, like WomensLaw.org: http://www.womenslaw.org/immigrantsVAWA.htm#25

If you still don't believe me how easy this is, then go to the website of the U.S. government: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=499a6c854523d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=828807b03d92b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

So it all boils down to three simple steps:

1. Get into the country

2. Find a man

3. Accuse him of abuse

And remember the Violence Against Women Act guarantees you free legal help. But your husband or boyfriend won't be eligible, so if he can't afford a lawyer, you've already won the case.

Maybe you've heard of men who were falsely accused of abuse, how it ruined their reputations, emptied out their bank accounts, and destroyed relationships with their children. Don't worry about those stories. Congress put these benefits into the VAWA law, so obviously it intended for you to take advantage of them.

You go, girl!

Vote down Vote up

over 11 years ago

i m a victim o d/v i was beaten by my spouse crackd rib busted lip eye slashestorn off after a hit my hand down while curlig them all in front of my family i never called the police but recived mebical attention for a couple of iccedents of course my spouse did te talkingfor me i finally left him the police told me that i wouldf be pertected i was not one day whle i was trying to get away from him after he struck me in an inter section i got out of my car ran home i pedestrion called on a cell phone fowwed and called polce they knoked on the door i told them that nohing happened i was noticely brused u a bit they yalked to him he works for the local dist as a costdian so the pd knows him they talked to him and left . the didnt do any thing on a other occassion he hit me closed fist n the side of the head i ran from him locked him out he was trying to get in i was haveing contruction done on my property he was angry i scard he was tell me he was ging to kick my XXX i threatened him that i was going to call the police ive never called befor there was rebar wiremesh and oter bilding materal on the side of the house he squeesed his body through the side of the house scratching his arm i pickedup the phone he already hit me he was cawlingin from a bed room window i first diled 411 preteneding i was on the pnone talking to police he still comeing through i hung up andreally caled them he was in the house i told the police help me i grabed the phone and wanked the phone from the wall hiting he in the head i strugled when i finally got away police were there the told me not to leave i told them that i just wanted him to go ihe comeswalking out drying shakeing his head he saying that he was just trying to go to work i told them not to belive him they asked him what happened to his ahrm he told them that the cratches were that i through the keys at him im nit the bionic i was weighing a littel over 100 pounds he was crying siteing on front steps i coudnt beive what was happening the came to the car opened my door told me step out and arrested me he balid me out useing bond from my home i had plead qilty not knowing that no contest ment the same as quilty my attornny he hired told that i was admiting no guilt,the case cost me nerly 12,000 i finally left him he allways stateing how sorry he is there a kickoutorder issed but of corse he above the law

i was issed a order of pertection and peaceful contact with i requestion he to have visatation the judge advised not to but i stated to her that he was not violant whith our children just me allthought the seen the violant behavor i told he because when i was going to leave him in the past he would wake my children crying telling them that moms going to leave him and take them away fom him the kids would cry and plead with me he used them so i didnt want to keep them apart a bad choice on my part one day our eldest son told me that his littel brother was a his grand mother whith out his dad i dont have a problem with my mother inlaw but the other women in her converted gourge no bedroom and a small bathroom had all ost there children aand made no effert to get them back his to nices and there mother they haveing noticeable bolies on ther hand necks arhms i told that when he was in his care not to leave our son in the care of these women he said it wasnt up to me we argued when i was leaveing the two of the woman jumpt me while my spouse held me i was kicked pulled my hair out and pucnched i didnt hit them back but tried to keep them for the fear of one of them was to be hiv positive never the less police came they told me that the woman are stateing mutal combat it wasnt they told me to go to court and change the visitaion so that he coudent leave our son in the company of these woman the police wrote a report where i was the victim but befor i could go to court they went the net day filed on me his mother a elderly woman who i never had a problem with gray hair and the three other i spoke of said thatmy mother in law was fearful an order of pertection was issued and now i couldnt make contact with her were my son wa just eing bropped off at i really didnt have a chance to explian it was a differnt court house i never not once had a problem with my moter in law nor made her fearful ever she was just doing whather son asked he to do my soon to be x while i was picking our son after a weekened visit called the police i was parked honked the horn police arrived i showed my custidy papers the said as long as i remained in my car i wa not in violation of any orders they then ran him he had vilated the restaing order he had vilated my pertection order when he had went to my home and fiuht with the other person and also me he was arrested for that a week or so the trap he tried to set for

me back fired on him he then started calling my home cry for help i refused and told him not tocalll hanging up on him he continued calling even after beingwarned in court i call logs of collect that our children excepted

cry and asking them to tell mom to help them that he knew he had a problem of abuise and

prmoiseing conseling with his children

my children pleading with me to help there dad he useing the love his family has for him and i the fool posted bail for him with the promise that he would pay me back on his release the same day bail posted he called our youngest boy told himthat he still had the day for visitation he said tell mom to brng you and im going to giveyou back the down payment for bail i took my son there as i have many time befor my son got off i waited in the street my car not even parked the women came out that had assultedme befor i knew something wrpong my passanger window

was not working i stept one foot out of the car and yeld for my son to return police arrived in the seen i wa arested for vilate the restraing order of my mother in law i never seen my mother in law or my spouse ust the woman that assulted me my son watched crying while i was being arrested i seen oonly my spouse ahrm pull myson in the converted gaurge thank god ai had the bail recipt in my pocket they cited me out all his charges were dropped and i was ordered to a yaer of classes and my public defender did every thing but defened me when i asked for an alternet cunsel dueto no communication with mt attorney that i called everday and i got no return from him i stated that i belived tha i was not going to recive a fair trail my public defender called mt a liar while i stood beside him in court i pleaded that i was not a kiar that i called everday heyeled out liar again loud then said okay maybee she called a few time i said thats not correct your honor but uif so why sir did you not retrn those cal sitr his reply was im a busy man i stateed your honor my have an alternet consel denied while they served me with a criminal order that over seen an other conflicting in the case i was no longer pertected as if it made a difference please help me now im getting diviorced andny home that i paid 47 % down of my own seperate monies not comigled or being dived i am asking for assistace fron anyone tha can help me appeal the judgment while we were seperated be for my prior consel allowed my restraing order to expier my x placed a security code restricting my from being assisted trying to cause my home to forclosure for his own financial gain he has no vested intest in the property so hehad only to gain

in i have proff ofpayment

a traced copy of the payment from me to the mortgage company

but was not assisted due to his resticion he did this while my order of pertection was valied i belivethe attorney

allowed this after he told me to not worrie because he would of gotten alot more than the 4,000 i paid him there a grat deal of equiety i am now disabled suffering from a deprsive emotional disorder diminished cognitive thinking disorder i tried

bring an action of fraud undue nflunce but


dayit wa to be heard in court was advanced continue and vacted he lies cheats and steal

e came to my home fighting with a other indavigual also threatening me